Our Standard for Natural
At Johnson’s, over 90% of the ingredients in our washes, lotions, shampoos, and conditioners are of natural origin.
How We Calculate the 90%
There is no regulatory definition of "Naturals" so we sought out to exceed the top standards in the world.
Since there is no regulatory definition of “natural,” we follow the only independent international standard for naturals in cosmetics—the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). According to the ISO/DIS 16128, “natural origin” refers to ingredients that are more than 50% from natural sources, such as plants or minerals.
Based on that definition, over 96% of the ingredients in our washes, lotions, shampoos and conditioners are of natural origin. (That’s average cumulative volume, including water.)
We know natural ingredients aren’t always safe for baby in their natural form. So before we add them to our products, we put them through a series of steps in order to:
A few reasons why we have the other 4%
We use the following in our products for their specific benefits:
- Preservatives are critical to prevent mold and bacteria from growing and harming your baby.
- Citric acid and sodium hydroxide balance the pH levels of our products with the pH of your baby’s skin—which is essential for functioning of skin enzymes, skin repair processes and protection against infection.
- Skin conditioning agents help to soothe skin while hair conditioning and antistatic agents help prevent moisture loss and keep hair looking and feeling healthy.
- Vitamins and antioxidants help keep your baby’s skin safe by preventing products from oxidizing and creating free radicals.
- Fragrances help sensorial development and make bath time fun.
Study References: 90% of the ingredients are of natural origin “Over 90% of the ingredients in our products are naturally derived (or of natural origin).* (*Based on average cumulative volume of ingredients in washes, lotions and shampoos, using ISO/DIS 16128 (water included) Sometimes natural ingredients that work well for adults are simply too harsh for babies skin. At Johnson's, being natural is never more important than being safe”